Basically, detoxification means cleansing the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and every cell in the body is adversely affected.
Here are 10 ways to help your body detox:
- Consume a lot of fibre, including brown rice and organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs and green tea.
- Take vitamin c, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least two quarts of water a day.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your body system.
- Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then lay down on your bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate waste through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products store.
- Exercising is also one of the best ways to detoxify.